Follow Me @minnie_medina

Friday, February 6, 2015

Interview with Shana Galen

21898799

Amazon | B&N | iTunes


     His heart may be the last thing she ever steals...

     Marlowe is a pickpocket, a housebreaker-and a better actress than any professional on the stage. She runs with the Covent Garden Cubs, a gang of thieves living in the slums of London's Seven Dials. It's a fierce life, and Marlowe has a hard outer shell. But when she's alone, she allows herself to think of a time before-a dimly remembered life when she was called Elizabeth.

     Maxwell, Lord Dane, is intrigued when his brother, a hired investigator, ropes him into his investigation of the fiercely beautiful hellion. He teaches her to navigate the social morass of the ton, but Marlowe will not escape so easily. Instead, Dane is drawn into her dangerous world, where the student becomes the teacher and love is the greatest risk of all.


     Hello Shana and welcome to my blog. I have to say that Earls Just Want to Have Fun was an interesting read as you'll by able to read in my review. But I have to ask how does a story come to you? (A dream, la la land, etc.)

     I don’t know. That’s one of those things I don’t think about too much because I don’t want to jinx it. I will say that I’m heavily influenced by popular culture. My books have been inspired by movies like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, the James Bond series, and Disney’s Tangled. Sometimes a song will inspire me or a trope, like “second chance at love.” Mostly, it happens randomly when I ask myself, what if… What if a thief and an earl were thrown together? What would happen? That’s the basic setup for Earls Just Want to Have Fun, but the overarching series idea came from Oliver Twist. I just never know where I’ll get an idea!

     Those are interesting ways to get inspired to write a book. I mean, who doesn't like Tangled? This book is definitively going along those lines. Now talking about inspirations, hat do you do/where do you look for inspiration when you have writers block?

     What a great question. It’s interesting because I don’t get “writer’s block.” I always have something to write when I sit down and get to work. I think for me, writer’s block comes in the form of not feeling like sitting down to do the work, just like anyone else who’s ever had a day they don’t feel like doing their job. I set page goals for each day, so I know where I need to be at the end of the day. That helps keep me on track even when I don’t feel like writing.
     Once in a while, I find that I’m not sure of what a character should say in answer to another character or how I should begin a new scene. Usually, if I get up and walk around for a few minutes either to get a drink or put laundry away, I figure it out. There’s something about moving and doing something that takes my mind off the problem that allows my unconscious to work it out for me.

     I hope you never get it. I hear it's not fun. But you mention sometimes you don't know what your characters should say to one another so can you tell me what is the most frustrating thing when dealing with your characters?

     The most frustrating thing for me is that I have one vision of my characters at the start of a book and about halfway through I realize that I didn't really know them at all in the beginning. I always have to go back and revise the first few chapters because as I write I get to know my characters better, and they become more real to me and less like the cardboard inventions in the first few chapters.

     It's good to hear that they become real to you and not just a chore to be done as they definitively become real to us readers and we sometimes identify with them or their situations move us to try and be better. Like Lord Dane was moved by Marlowe's situation.

     Thanks for coming and I hope to read more of your books soon.


Shana GalenShana Galen is the bestselling author of passionate Regency romps, including the RT Reviewers' Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books " lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven years. Most of those years were spent working in Houston's inner city. Now she writes full time. She's happily married and has a daughter who is most definitely a romance heroine in the making. Shana loves to hear from readers, so send her an email or see what she's up to daily on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ShanaGalen) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/shanagalen). Visit her website at www.shanagalen.com


a Rafflecopter giveaway

1 comment:

ShanaGalen said...

Thank you so much for hosting me today and for the great interview!