Friday, October 31, 2014

Review: The Recruit by Monica McCarty

The Recruit (Highland Guard, #6)The Recruit
by Monica McCarty
Series: Highland Guard (#6)
Published by: Ballantine Books
October 30th 2012
Genre: Historical Romance
Format: Mass Market Paperback

Rating: 5 Stars




     This is the story of Kenneth Sutherland, Helen's brother and Saint's brother in law, who has to prove that he is one of the best to be accepted into Bruce "phantom army". But Mangus "Saint" MacKay will do anything to see him fail and not take the place of his old friend and Kenneth foster brother William "Templar" Gordon. But Kenneth won't be deterred from what he want at any cost...or will he?

     Mary of Mar, widowed of the Earl of Atholl, was left with a broken heart what not even 6 months old her son was taken from her to foster under the household of King Edward. When her husband Atholl decides to turn "traitor" she is saved from harsh retribution from the crown by Sir Adam Gordon, "Templar's" uncle who is in love with her. Vowing never to put her life and that of her son in the hand of another man by marrying she is none the less attracted to Kenneth when she goes with the Bishop of St. Andrews to Scotland to vouch on behalf of her son for his lands and to keep the "peace truce" (although King Edward had other plans).

     When she sees how much like her late husband Kenneth looks she wants nothing from him but a night of passion and she lets him know in no uncertain terms how it's going to be. But not always we get what wish for and Mary was no exception.

     We get lots of action and even more lost tempers which it turns to many battles, be them of fists, swords, or wills. I love how McCarthy develops this books. I have yet to find a historical author that makes me feel like I'm right there in the battle field with the characters but specifically in the time in which the book is developed. I swear when I'm reading her books I feel like I'm in the 1300's with the characters and that is a treat not many authors have.

     In this story like the other Guards I felt the irresistible urge to smack the characters upside the head. But unlike the others I felt compel to do it to HER more than him!

No comments:

If you like my reviews, please follow my blog and/or any of my social media pages displayed on this blog.

Thanks and have a great day!