Monday, September 8, 2014

Review: Second Hand by Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton

Second Hand
Second Hand
by Heidi Cullinan, Marie Sexton
Series: Tucker Springs (#2)
Published by: Riptide Publishing
September 10th 2012
Genre: GLBT, Contemporary Romance
Format: eBook
Source: Publisher

Rating: 4 Stars



     In this story we have Paul (1st person POV), who is struggling to make ends meet when his girlfriend of 7, 8 years leaves him for an art professor. He is psychologically affected by all this because he thinks he's not good enough for anybody.

     When Emanuel enters the picture it will take all he has to make Paul aware of his appeal and that he has the charm and wit to hold his own on the dating pool. But when El starts to let Paul know how he feels and Paul can't take it, it might all come to an end.

     It takes just a maternal push for Paul to know what he has with El is a really good thing and that what matters is not who you love but that, that love is true and lasting.

     I really loved this story because it reminded me of my brother-in-law and how much he struggled because he didn't had the support of the family that should have being there for him. I knew he was gay from the first time I met him but it was plain to me that his family was homophobic and it didn't help that his father (who didn't know at the time he was gay) and his mother (who DID know) made remarks like "that fucking gay" and stuff like that.

     It is really sad when family don't support their gay members or when they might have a suspicion but don't want it to be true. I have an uncle that is like that with his son although we (the rest of the family) know how it is.

     I'm always happy to know when men like that (gay) are supported and loved, like an other uncle's "sister"-in-law. And I say sister because she's transsexual.

     So all in all I love the story and the dynamic of the characters and Paul's and El's parents for being supportive about it.

No comments:

If you like my reviews, please follow my blog and/or any of my social media pages displayed on this blog.

Thanks and have a great day!