Follow Me @minnie_medina

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Review: The Proposal by Mary Balogh

16142131
The Proposal
by Mary Balogh
Series: The Survivors' Club (#1)
Published by: Dell
May 28th 2013
Genre: Historical Romance
Format: eBook


Rating: 3 Stars



     I've read Mary Balogh's the Huxtable Quintet and really liked the stories, so I decided to try her again when I saw this book on the shelves. I have to say that it did not disappoint.

     Here we have Hugo Emes, Lord Trentham, who is a middle-class Englishman to whom the king himself has awarded with a title (though it does not specify what kind of title, just says he's a Lord) for his heroic display at a Forlorn Hope in war (in other words the infantry of modern military [you know the first to be sent]). Then we have Gwendoline Grayson, Lady Muir, who has been widowed for seven years.

     This two characters come from vastly different worlds. Hugo is a big brute of a man with no filters to his mouth and no social skills who is always frowning/scowling but with a gentle heart. And Gwen is a gentile lady who after a few hours with Lord Trentham can be cured of any shock for his unapologetic language.

     They meet when Gwendoline has an accident in a deserted beach and twists her ankle making her unable to walk. As the story progresses the hero and heroine find themselves fighting their attraction to each other, specially Hugo as he thinks he is not good enough for a Lady.

     I have read that Gwen has made an appearance in various other books in two different series. As I've not read this series I have a fresh eye as who Gwen is and not what I think she should be. That is why I think this story made me laugh at the occurrences and the loose tongue of Hugo and watery eyed as the past is revealed and it is shown how much the characters have suffered. 

     I am really looking forward to reading the next book and see what is behind the ever cheerful Viscount Darleigh.

Memorable Quotes:

     As George had said, no one could tell you about love or romance or what would happened if you married and the romance dwindle away. You could only find out for yourself. Or not find out.
     You could face the challenge or you could turn away from it.
     You could be a hero or a coward.
     You could be a wise man or a fool.
     A cautious man or a reckless one.
     Were there any answers to anything in life?

*****

     "Come to my world," he said.
     "How?" She frowned at him.
     "If you want me, Gwendoline," he said, "if you imagine that you love me and think you can spend your life with me, come to my world. You will find that wanting, even loving, is not enough."

No comments: